Saturday 25 February 2012

Being a younger brother

                                  


                                    I was constantly staring at my watch from 3.50pm, expecting the bell to ring. As soon as the bell rang, i ran to the parking lot with a chunky bag on my shoulders.I unlocked my intimate bicycle and rode as fast as i could.I even overtook some uncles riding their old scooters. The moment i entered the home, i switched on the tv without even removing my stinky socks, to watch SWAT KATS(my favourite cartoon).At the age of 12, i wouldnt mind watching cartoon network for 24*7, if i was allowed.


                                             
                                     Just when the program was about to start, my biggest foe snatched the remote from me.I think at that age, the biggest and the only foe to me was my elder brother.He changed the channel to some bloody cricket match( he wouldnt mind watching cricket matches for 24*7,if allowed). I was continuously badgering him to change the channel. Sachin got out. As though Sachin got out due to my annoyance, my foe gave me a hefty knock on my head.




                                Tears took their stand and were ready to fall on my cheeks.I was not the kind of kid who would complain to their mom.I tried to retaliate but ended up with getting even a heavier knock.



                               This was just 1 in 10 incidents a day, where i would be beaten by him.In all these times i would say to myself " Dont cry like a girl, you moron!!! One day, when you grow as taller and stronger as him,you will surely knock him on his head,atleast once. now stop crying"  Before finishing that self-talk, my tears would have already wet my cheeks.




                               I thought, born as a younger brother was the worst possible way, the god can curse you with. Because you would get knocked on your head if you watched cartoon, if you didnt bat well in a gully cricket match( even if your foe was in the opponent team), if you didnt go to shop( even if it was his turn to go to shop) and above all you would always be a SECOND-HANDER. His cycle, his apparels and  his books would be passed on to you.




                                After some few months, i heard the most 
happiest news in my life. My foe had to go to chennai for doing his engineering( Till he completed his board exams,i even had to sacrifice my cartoon programs).Then i felt like a slave who got his freedom after so many years.For the first few days after he left, i was happy.There was no one to control me. But as days passed, i could feel something was missing.As days became months, i realized that MISSING THING was my foe. 




                      I wanted to fight with him for all the silly reasons
                      I wanted to play with him and lose to him
                      I wanted to defy him
                      I wanted to get knocked on my head for that  
                      I wanted to cry for that
                      Now,I am crying not because he hit me
                      It is because he is not near me to hit 
            
                        (OMG did i write i poem????)  After some few months, he came home for holidays.I really didnt know how to react. Should i fight with him for switching on the lights when i was sleeping or should i hug him and say " I MISS U". Though my heart wanted to do the latter, something made me to do the former. Because i am from a family where words like "SORRY, THANK U, MISS U etc " are not spoken my mouth.They had to be understood. I surely knew that my foe,sorry MY BROTHER would have heard the words spoken by my heart.


   
                                  One thing i understand now is that " THE MORE YOU HATE YOUR SIBLING IN YOUR CHILDHOOD, THE MORE YOU LOVE THEM IN YOUR LATER YEARS".I am not sure whether any of my friends got such an adorable and sweet brother as i got.I now realize that God didnt curse me. He blessed me with such an exceptional brother.                                                       


                                                                               
                                                                               by prem                                          

2 comments:

  1. Woww... Too good. Felt like I was looking back at my own growing-up years. It's so so true about what you have said about being a second/last child. I was also amazed about your mention of the families where saying 'Sorry, Thanks, Love you or Miss you' are completely out of their repertoire. The only way you express them is by doing things which we normally do together. In this sibling case, it's getting back to fighting mode ;-)

    Your once lifetime rival becomes your all time favorite friend, philosopher and guide.

    ReplyDelete